More than 120 years ago
The Esch/Alzette gasworks was founded in 1899 and was built by Carl Francke from Bremen, who simultaneously received the concession to supply the town with gas. At that time, the town’s gas was produced in a coking plant and used for public lighting. The calorific value of this town gas was half that of natural gas. Moreover, this town gas was toxic due to its high carbon monoxide content.